Bantu midfielder Neo Mokhachane says the covid-19 pandemic almost cost him his career.
Mokhachane who has in recent times been linked with a number of big name clubs in the country which are said to have offered him lucrative contracts compared to what the Mafeteng outfit had been giving him, told Newsday Sports in an exclusive interview on Wednesday that he is currently in negotiations with the management of the club.
The gifted Lesotho international’s contract with Bantu expired in August 2021 and has been due for renewal since.
“You know with every contract review and renewal, there has to be some improvements, so I want an improvement. It is not that I want to leave, not everything is about money, this Covid-19 situation has really changed a lot of things,” Mokhachane said.
The player insisted that he is not ready to leave Bantu for any team in the country yet all he is hoping for is an improved contract.
He said he was on the verge of leaving football and hanging his boots when a number of big clubs learned of it and approached him with offers.
“There were offers from other teams, tempting offers. Truth is being paid half salary is no child’s play. Ever since we stopped playing, we have been getting half salaries and that has been tough on most of us.
“I have been working in a family business so much that I wanted to hang my boots, so teams started approaching me with enticing offers. I was ready to quit football but after a very long time thinking and getting some advice from legendary players, I decided to give football a second chance,” said Mokhachane.
Since signing from Ace Maseru in July 2018, 25-year-old Mokhachane has been a constant feature in the Bantu starting eleven who was later introduced to the national senior men’s team Likuena by former Coach Thabo Senong.