Sports

Soccer destiny in limbo

Chris Theko

The Premier League Management Committee (PLMC) is still in waiting for a response from the Lesotho Football Association (LeFA) regarding the proposal that was made by teams to abort the current 2020/21 season. 

In a consultative meeting that was held at Bambatha Tšita Sports Arena between the PLMC and the clubs’ representatives, it was recommended that the league be cancelled and preparations be made for the new 2021/22 season.

When the premier league was suspended due to a surge in Covid-19 cases in the country with fears of the third wave in June, most teams had played half of the games necessary to complete the season.

The 16 team log is led by Matlama followed in second position by Bantu. 

The PLMC spokesperson, Qamako Mahao told Newsday Sport they delivered the recommendation letter last week and are now awaiting a response from the football governing body.

“We delivered the teams’ proposed recommendations letter to the National Executive Committee and they are yet to respond. 

“We are aware that the President of LeFA was not available due to a family matter last week. Hopefully we will get a response this week,” Mahao said.

He stated that there are a number of things that have to take place after the proposal which includes discussions with relevant stakeholders. 

“Once the proposal has been received and responded to, we will have to engage the teams again. There is the issue of prize monies which must be discussed and the teams are aware of all the processes,” he added.

Mahao had last week told this publication that the main reason for the majority vote to end the league was that of financial loss that has been suffered by the teams to this point.

He said the teams suggested that ending of the league now will give us enough time to prepare for the upcoming season and aligned with the FIFA calendar.

“The teams don’t have money and that is a big challenge on its own, we don’t have the financial muscle to sustain the teams apart from the funding from LeFA allocated by FIFA,” he said.

Meanwhile, LeFA Secretary-General Mokhosi Mohapi confirmed the news, saying they had indeed received the letter but that it could be a while before they respond to it. 

“I received the letter on Tuesday this week so we are yet to look at it but I can tell you that because of so many things currently taking place and the ones coming this weekend, it could be a while before we respond to that letter,” Mohapi said. 

The association’s president Advocate Salemane Phafane KC has been in mourning and evidently unavailable, this is because of the passing away of his brother last weekend. Mohapi said that amongst others and the upcoming presidential elections could be cause to the delay.    

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close